Safety alert issued about working near powerlines after fatality


Thursday, 10 February, 2022

Safety alert issued about working near powerlines after fatality

Energy Safe Victoria (ESV) has warned the community to be aware of the life-threatening dangers of working near and around powerlines following the death of a man in Malvern East. ESV has called on Victorians to ensure they hire qualified and experienced arborists, who have the right equipment for the job when trimming and pruning trees near powerlines. The independent safety regulator is investigating the incident in which a man was trimming back a dead tree in the front of a property on Waverley Road. While the tree was believed to be clear of the powerlines before the incident took place, the man was most likely electrocuted after he made contact with powerlines through a pole.

The incident serves as an important reminder that when using ladders, poles and other equipment near powerlines, people need to be aware of their surroundings. ESV Commissioner and Chairperson Marnie Williams said this incident also highlights the fact that only properly trained and experienced professionals should be engaged to carry out this kind of work, especially near powerlines.

“Our thoughts are with the family and friends of the deceased. This loss of a life is an unfortunate, but very important, reminder that all Victorians need to be aware of the dangers of powerlines. It doesn’t matter whether it’s heavy machinery, a ladder or a pole; any contact with powerlines can result in serious injury or death as we saw over the weekend,” Williams said.

Image credit: ©stock.adobe.com/au/jc1305us

Related News

Electrician fined $2000 for hazardous electrical error

An electrician has been fined $2000 for failing to follow kilowatt-hour meter replacement...

Power station charged over workplace arc flash death

A Yallourn power station has been charged with breaching the Occupational Health and Safety Act...

WA electrician, company fined $32,500 for safety breach

A WA electrical company and electrician have been fined a combined $32,500 for failing to install...


  • All content Copyright © 2022 Westwick-Farrow Pty Ltd
Baidu